The definition that will be utilized to determine specific learning disability qualifications is:
Specific learning disability--The individual exhibits a disorder in one or more of the basic psychological processes involved in understanding or in using language, spoken or written, which may manifest itself in an imperfect ability to listen, think, speak, read, write, spell, or to do mathematical calculations. Such terms include conditions as perceptual handicaps, brain injury, minimal brain dysfunction, dyslexia, and developmental aphasia. The term does not include individuals who have learning problems which are primarily the result of visual, hearing, or motor handicaps, of mental retardation, of emotional disturbance, or of environmental, cultural, or economic disadvantage.
Applicant must be a resident of the state of Illinois.
The applicant must show evidence of a psychological evaluation and/or an Individual Education Program which indicates that the applicant was diagnosed as having a specific learning disability. Psychological and/or IEP will not be returned.
- Applicants must complete all forms.
- Scholarship recipients are selected by the LDA of IL Scholarship Committee.
- The amount of the scholarship is $500.00. Upon proof of acceptance into college, technical, or vocational school, the scholarship money will be sent directly to the institution.
- The application DEADLINE is Friday, 3/9/18. All application materials and references received after that date will not be considered. Please allow five (5) days for mailing. For additional information, contact the LDA/IL office at 708-430-7532. Winners will be notified in May 2018.
- THREE references, dated January 2018 or later, are required, including at least one from a school counselor, administrator or teacher. The references should be addressed to the LDA of IL Scholarship Committee. Please do not include a relative as a reference. The Personal Reference form may be duplicated to suit your needs, or a separate letter of reference may be included. Do not exceed three references.
- ALL requested information must be included with application. Incomplete applications will not be considered.
- When all scholarship requirements are completed, please send to:
Learning Disabilities Association of Illinois Attention: Scholarship Committee 10101 S. Roberts Road Suite 205 Palos Hills, Illinois 60465-1556